Trash CollectionMondays and Thursdays
The Town contracts out our trash and recycling collection. Items should be ready for pickup before 7:00 AM. Please place trash in plastic bags inside covered, securely "locked" receptacles, as we have a clever and sociable raccoon population here. Receptacles may be placed at the side or rear of your house; it is not necessary to put them at the curb. If you change the location
of your cans, please advise the Town Office.
Recycling Collection(curbside only): Mondays
Recycling bins are available to Town residents through the Town Office at 301-933-7488. Request a bin online.
Accepted Commingled Materials
- Glass bottles and jars (no broken glass, other glass types, ceramics)
- Bi-metal steel/tin cans (please rinse)
- Aluminum cans and foil products (please rinse)
- Plastic bottles and caps
- Plastic durable reusable containers and lids
- Plastic flower pots, buckets, pails, jars, containers, tubs, and lids
- #1 PET thermoform plastic packaging such as plastic clamshell containers, trays, deli containers, lids, domes and cups.
- Empty non-hazardous aerosol cans
Accepted Mixed Paper
- Newspapers and inserts
- Unwanted mail and envelopes
- Magazines and catalogs
- Hardback, paperback, and telephone books
- White and colored paper, shredded paper (bagged to avoid wind blown debris)
- Cardboard and paperboard boxes
- Wax coated milk or juice cartons, drink boxes, produce and frozen food boxes
Yard Waste(Curbside): Mondays
Yard waste is collected every Monday from March through October, then the first Monday of the month November through February.
- Grass clippings, leaves, small brush (place in paper garden waste bags, not to exceed 45 lbs)
- Branches and large brush – bundle with twine, no larger than 30 inches in diameter and 4 feet in length
- Branches –not to exceed 4 feet in length, 4 inches in diameter
- No rocks, dirt, sod, root balls, tree stumps, limber or firewood –the County Solid Waste facility accepts large wood waste.
On the following holidays, there is no trash, recycling or yard waste collection: New Year’s Day, MLK Jr.’s Birthday, Presidents' Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day.
Following the above holidays recycling will be collected Tuesday, trash will be collected Thursday, and Yard Waste the following Monday.
Christmas Tree Pickup
Christmas tree pickup takes place the first Monday after New Year's Day unless the holiday falls on a Monday when collection will be the following Monday. Please place your trees curbside by Sunday evening and check that you've removed all decorations and tinsel.
Free compost bins provided by Montgomery County are available from a number of stores. The store closest to Garrett Park is Whole Foods Market at 11355 Woodglen Drive, Rockville, 20852. Tel: 301-984-4880
A company called The Compost Crew offers weekly home collection subscriptions to Garrett Park residents, delivering finished compost periodically. (Use coupon code GARRETTPARKCOMPOSTS to obtain the discounted $20 rate.)
From mid–October through the end of December, the Town’s contractor removes leaves from the Town streets. Weather permitting, the contractor collects leaves at least weekly. Residents are asked to rake leaves into long piles along the curb. Please keep the piles free of rocks, brush, or branches that could damage the vacuum machinery, and do not shred leaves.
All drivers please be aware of children playing in the leaves.
Large Item Pickups - April 8th, June 24th, October 7th, 2017
The large item pickup is scheduled quarterly. Please place your items curbside no later than Friday. The haulers can accept anything that two people can carry including appliances such as: washers, driers, refrigerators, air conditioners, dehumidifiers. NO paints, tires, pesticides or other toxic material.
Household Hazardous Waste
The Montgomery County Shady Grove Solid Waste Transfer Station accepts many types of hazardous wastes, (materials that are reactive, ignitable, combustible, toxic and/or corrosive), and many other types of materials.