DUE TO COVID-19, THE TOWN OFFICE HAS REVISED HOW BEST TO CONDUCT THIS YEAR'S NOMINATIONS:
The Town of Garrett Park’s local election is scheduled for Monday, May 4, 2020. Residents will elect a mayor and two council members.
Typically, candidates are nominated for office at a meeting hosted by the Citizens Association, or via a petition that includes signatures from 10 residents. However, due to safety precautions related to the COVID-19 virus, this year a different process will be followed. Section 202 of the Town Code of Ordinances gives the Town Council the ability to decide the manner, time, and place for the Nominations to be held. In consultation with the Town Council, Chief Election Judge, and Citizen’s Association, this year the process will be as follows:
- From March 25, 2020 through April 13, 2020, residents may nominate one another or themselves by sending an email to Town Manager Andrea Fox and Town Assistant Elizabeth Henley at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com OR mailing the nomination to:
Town of Garrett Park Town Office
Attn: Town Manager Andrea Fox
PO Box 84
Garrett Park, MD 20896
- Candidates must fill out a financial disclosure form and send to Town Manager Andrea Fox and Town Assistant Elizabeth Henley at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com by April 13, 2020.
- The Town Office will date, print, and keep records of nominations and financial disclosure forms.
- The Town Office will contact (preferably email) nominees and confirm if they'd like to be on the ballot.
- As nominations are confirmed, the nominees will be listed on the Town website.
- Nominations do not need to be seconded. Though this has been a past practice, it’s not a requirement of the Charter or Code.
- Self-nominations do not need to be confirmed with 10 signatures on petition as in the past. Due to COVID-19 safety concerns, collecting signatures is highly discouraged.
- Candidates are asked to be mindful of CDC recommendations regarding social distancing.
If you have questions, please reach out to Town Assistant Elizabeth Henley at firstname.lastname@example.org